Friday, 23 April 2010

Carentan in 15mm

This is a Landmark building, Carentan Houses. Purchased mine from Timecast, and at the moment I believe they are no longer being made, though Timecast are hoping to take over production. Nice little buildings overall.

I've decided to mount all mine on to MDF and add scenery. I've also 'weathered' the buildings a little. I can't say painting scenery has ever been my thing. The seemingly recent expansion in pre-painted scenery is for me at least, a bit of a bonus. At the same time I like to see scenery which has been modelled, and hence why I decided to base all the houses. This is the first one finished. I intend to have enough to make a town scene, if necessary. Not sure how this will work in games, since the vogue at present is to have buildings with lift off roofs etc so models can be placed in side. Can't do that with these Landmark buildings.
The pavement is a mixture of textured plasticard from Antenociti Workshop, and good old cereal packet card, cut and scored. The cobble stones in the backyard is textured plasticard from the same company. The advertising poster is also from Antenociti. They do sheets of French or German advertising/propaganda posters, all copies of originals.

Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Then there were two....

Another Woodland Indian completed. These Conquest Miniature figures have got to be some of my favourite 28mm models I have ever painted. They are a joy to paint, delicate but well detailed and cannot be rushed.
I decided to paint a thin band of warpaint on this one. I had painted and highlighted the face and then added the warpaint. I used 50/50 mix of Chaos black/Scorched brown, I thought pure black may have been to harsh. The paint was thinned so I applied a couple of thin coats to build it up. Again I did not want to destroy the detail, so the original skin colour underneath can in places just be made out. The warpaint looks more brown in the photos but on the actual model it does appear to be more black.

Monday, 5 April 2010

Why I love.....

Webbs of Wychbold!?

Mrs G and I took the brood to this fairly local gardening emporium on Saturday. Always a grand day out with the pets section, and climbing frames to keep the kids occupied. I actually went with the intention of pricing up/purchasing shelving for the green house. Now part of the store is given over to Hobbycraft. This area is always worth a perusal, useful for modeling supplies, and imagine my surprise/delight/horror(!?), when I discovered on this visit that they now stock Battlefront products. Not a huge range but enough. I ended up walking away with a Flak36 battery. And the greenhouse? Still needs shelving!

So bravo to Webbs.

I'm back....!

Well the house move went pretty well. I've finally now got round to start painting again, which just over a week on is not to bad.

So on the workbench we have.....

US Para 81 mm mortar platoon. Based and undercoated, just need to be painted. I will paint the base first then the models. I started basing and then painting the models many years ago, if I think I can get away with it. I never liked the painting the model first, then basing routine. Particularly if drybrushing the base detail, paint had a tendency to go on the figure, which would mean touching that figure up again, plus once figures were based some detail could not be seen. So I experimented with basing groups of models and painting them once in situ. At the time I was painting 15mm ancients for DBA/DBM (long since gone), and it worked. FoW bases lend them themselves to this method perfectly. Though I have yet to try and paint more than 4 figures on a base, or camo ie Germans. I work on the theory that if I can't get the brush into an area to paint the detail then it will not be seen anyway! So this area will be left black, representing shade or at least in a base colour. Also I have a 'base' to hold when painting the models, which can make things easier. Others like to place figures on sticks or whatever, this is the method I use and it suits me.

Next up....

Woodland Indians for French and Indian War. Observers may notice that I haven't sprayed the figures on the base, but undercoated them and then applied the model to the base and put on the sand. I've then applied a wash of brown ink to the sand and will then drybrush the base.I wanted to try something a little different, since the black undercoat can make the base colour(s) look to dark. I'm happy with results so far.