The work slowly creeps forward!!!
I've added ready mixed filler to hide seams, cracks and holes. Then gone over the 'earth' ramparts with modelling clay to give more shape to the structures.
I've also added in the wooden gun platforms. For the gun pits these have been made from sheet balsa, scored to represent the individual planks of wood and then distressed and painted. I painted these before gluing to the board. Balsa takes the paint well, soaking up the initial grey wash and then a black wash and then dry brushing with suitable lighter colours to highlight detail. For the trench sides I'm using a mix of coffee stirrers and balsa. The coffee stirrers/lollipops, do not soak up the paint like balsa.
The floor of this MG nest, is made from individual coffee stirrers. I found it was easier to apply a black wash to these, then a grey wash and then drybrush. Slightly more time consuming cutting individual lengths of wood and then distressing them, than working on a 'block' of balsa sheet. The wattle fencing is home made.
The wattle fencing was very time consuming, but does the job. After first pieces were glued in position, I realised the blue of the foam board could be seen. So I then went over all the trench/gun positions with black paint. Applied with an airbrush! Then glued in further pieces. The fencing has then been sprayed with various shades of brown, again using an airbrush. More work to do on these yet.
I need to finish off the trench sides and flooring, and then will nearly be ready to paint the surface of the boards.