Finally the boards have some green on them. I've completed the trees, then the hedgerows. Used rubberised horsehair for both. Then added the flock for the grass. It is actually quite green, maybe too green for me. For someone who prefers muted colours the boards look bright. Anyway here are a few more pictures...
There is still work to be done. I need to add more foliage. Particularly along the hedgerows, and tidy up the grass here and there. I then can start to add more detail in and around the gun positions. I'm quite pleased with how the tree line came out in front of the gun positions. The artillery pieces are suitably screened by the flora to hide their position, which is what I was hoping to achieve.
I have also done some more weathering on the wooden flooring and revetments, mainly using washes. I tried Devlan Mud, oils thinned with white spirit but I found that the MIG enamel washes were best. Also added in some more mud. Two different techniques were used for this. Firstly I made a paste of PVA, powdered filler, suitable weathering powder and a small amount of water. This obviously produced clumps of mud, I was attempting to simulate dry mud. I then placed MIG pigment fixer directly onto the wooden flooring, put weathering powder onto an old brush and tapped the brush above the pigment fixer to scatter the powder. I did then add a little more pigment fixer to hold the powder. I haven't gone mad with the mud effect, restricted it to were people would be moving on and off the flooring.
I will now probably concentrate on painting up the guns and figures needed to play out the scenario. Thats it for now more to follow.